Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hindi-English-Hindi.......Englishhhh- way!

Not independence but Liberty! 
Being  brought up in the family of 'hindi scholars' has made the new journey easier for me in many ways....

Presently I teach in a school where Hindi is the main medium to put your ideas across- in classrooms/exams.
Before and after joining work, I saw many-a-gasp(! )and everyone had more queries and doubts than mine , some in whisper others a-loud- '.... so u know, school is in Hindi medium.' ; ..' u have studied in English throughout right?! and this aint going to be same...'; ' you sure if you can manage well..' .. ... yes! the reader's and close friends going through this post, may raise eyebrows over it as well... though,my only answer to ALL would be- I CAN with utmost Ease! :-)


We live in country  (immediate surrounding) where there are Hindi-speaking majority around me. My alma-mater was '100% English medium' - from morning prayers to conversing with teachers(even Hindi teachers')...though the students coming from various backgrounds had hang-over only Hindi !
and I remember how a penny was paid each time you uttered word in the language without which survival back at home, wasn't possible! Well, more than being 'punishable offence' , it was in our benefit to speak The language (colonial gift) and the after-effects were well felt by those of us who managed to get through universities(yeah! not all- who now have on an average 1 kid and tagged 'happily married' smiling photo(sss) on FB). .


Let me give you a surprise, or maybe not so much, a surprise which made many of 'others' look down upon many of 'us'. So, it goes - in simple language- that despite being in a English medium convent , 2 sections of our school were actually taught in 'Hindi'.. NO! its not Entirely Hindi- just the Social science part! So, it probably came to full circle , when I joined to teach my subject in medium that is Hindi.
 The beauty of subject, lies in the way 'it is taught' .. and I would never shy in revealing that it's Hindi which get's me all going and High! :)

Post 10th grade, I returned to 'English' learning (speaking still remains a mix); and hence, I  have more hang over reading English comfortably. So, it is trouble at little of the little times when I am teaching 'the historical process' like  about relations of the state with 'people of the(Historic) times' ... I usually take that Pause and my girls instantly Translate the words for me.. 'relation' , 'jar-pots', 'traditions' , ... are some words where the 'long pause' was immediately  'translated' ! 


Confession , if you seek from me, I still carry my English version of the text in classroom and read along while they read -aloud from their Hindi.

With the 'historic transitions' beginning with - the Hindi,than to  English and now back to Hindi, I see it rather being a fruitful one. 'Positivism ' is another trademark of my mother along with The HINDI , that I sometimes believe to have been transferred in my genes! 


 --स्वतंत्र भारत की स्वछन्द नारी ।

No comments:

Post a Comment